Do your kids love to go to the movies as much as mine do? Yeah, mine are always wanting to go to the movies. I mean, I like going to the movies, so it doesn't really bother me that they want to go...because I would want to go to the movies too!
But...they can be so expensive!! Like really expensive! Not necessarily you-can't-pay-your-mortgage type expensive, but...you get the point.
But still, the draw to go to the movies is still there. They're so magical, aren't they? The big screen, the theater with the curtains on the walls and the dim lights. The expectation of being drawn into a different world, even if it's only for a short time. It's truly magical.
My kids feel that magic when we go. They love it! And because they love it, they want to go back...
and back again...
BUT........my wallet is not so keen on the going back. Do you feel that way?
My nieces come and stay with us for a few days at New Years, and this year they wanted to go see the newest Spiderman movie. One of them had seen it and she really wanted to go back and see it again. She was assuring me that it was really good and that I'd really like it. Now, I'm not a huge Spiderman fan, but I'm sure that I would like it, especially with her review. But even then, I was like,
"Um, I'm sure it's good, but I'm not looking to spend the money to go and see it. I'll wait until it comes out on Netflix."
I mean, I have to really want to see the movie in order to justify paying to go to the theater to see it.
So, I'm always looking for ways to save money to go to the movies. Anything that will help me save a buck ... or $5 ... is what I'm looking for. Like I said, I really like going, I just don't want to pay an arm and a leg to go. So, my husband and I have, over the years, figured out a few ways to save ourselves some money.
Ways to Save Money At The Movies
- Firstly, you could always take just one of your kids on a date. We have 3 kids, so if we only have to pay for 2 tickets that's a big discount. And the win is that you get some one on one time with one of your kids, or with your husband! This works best when one of your kids wants to see a specific movie that no one else wants to see.
- Another idea is to find a theater with cheap tickets. We have a theater near us where normal ticket prices are $2. Some days are even less! We try to find a movie that we all like that is playing at that theater. The movies are usually a little old, but who cares, right? My kids usually want to see the movies that are there anyway, and chances are, we were to cheap to take them to the regular theater anyway. In the end, you get to see a movie you have never seen on the big screen!
- For us, we find that the concession stand is a killer on our wallets. A bucket of popcorn is pretty expensive! One thing we have discovered is that if we get a large bucket of popcorn, there are free refills! With 5 of us, we usually get at least one refill. he other thing we have discovered is that most theaters will give you little fry boats or small bags to divide the popcorn out so each of us gets our own bag of popcorn. Now we don't have to pass the bucket!
- The other thing at the concession stand that is expensive is the drinks. What we do here is we usually get 2 large drinks that are different. Everyone is usually happy with one of the two choices. Again, the large ones get free refills! If you ask for water cups, you can also divide these out so everyone gets their own cup, and you don't have to share the giant ones!
- One last idea for us to save some money is gift cards. When friends or family ask what our kids want for gifts on their birthdays or even at holidays, we suggest movie gift cards. It saves us some money, gives people a great idea for gifts, and our kids benefit in the end!
We recently went to the movies and actually used most of these ideas and in the end we didn't spend any money out of pocket. We had gift cards to cover everything, but even if we did come out of pocket, we would have only spend around $30 for 5 us to go see a movie, and have popcorn and drinks. Not bad! We can handle that every so often!
What ways have you used to save money when you go to the movies? I'd love to hear some new ideas!